Sunday, December 11, 2005

Regarding Survivor

After watching Survivor sporadically over the last few years, I’ve been thinking. Tonight is, of course, the finale of this season. I started watching it the first year I lived in Edmonton (2002), because my roommate at the time really liked it, so its what was on Thursday evenings. Then I watched it because other friends really liked it. I always went to "Survivor night" because of the socialization part of the evening. I don’t hate the show, don’t get me wrong. I get involved, and I start liking people and wishing others were voted off, but at the same time I was never NOT able to blow it off for a test or something. Tonight I was watching it (funny because I have a final tomorrow and I really should be totally focused on that), and I realized that I have finally decided what my favorite part is. I like the endurance challenges. Some people think that they’re boring, but I think they’re the best! Whatever happens, there is no “bad luck” involved. Its not a competition against anyone, but against oneself. No one can do better or worse as a result of another person, it’s just one person versus time, with very few variables to affect the outcome. Its very clean, cut and dry, simple.

Or maybe its just that I like watching people suffer in agony. I prefer the first idea though.

No comments: