Tuesday, February 20, 2007

procrastination 101

It's one of those nights where I have a thousand things to do, and a busy day tomorrow, but I can't get around to starting doing anything. My dishes need to be done, the garbage needs to be taken out, my suitcase from last weekend needs to be unpacked, and I have marking and planning to do. But, I just don't feel like it. Instead I want to do nothing. I would rather sleep, sit here and write, drive around, talk on the phone, talk on msn... literally anything is better than doing something productive. I'm hoping that this blog will make me millions someday and then count as productive somehow.

I'm listening to "Sam's Town," the most recent Killers album. For all the hype about it being "so much different" than "Hot Fuss," it sounds pretty much the same to me... which isn't a bad thing, because I liked that album. It's just not this "new, more mature" sound that they advertised. Basically, it's still the Killers. Fun, bouncy, lots of keyboard, good drumming.

"When I grow up, I want to be a teacher." Do you know how many times I said that? zero. Not even once. I used to play teacher, but I didn't actually want to be one. Is it weird that I am? I feel like I don't take my job that seriously. Ok, maybe not really. I mean the lesson planning, marking, classroom stuff I take seriously, but there is A LOT of crap that goes on behind the scenes... with contracts, benefits, rules, requirements... all politics really... that I could care less about. Maybe its because I'm in my first year, and right now, the planning, marking, classroom stuff is the most important, but I hope I don't really lose that in the long run. I sort of hope I never care. I never want to be in admin, I never want to work at the "district level" or work for the Association or the board or anything. I just want to teach kids.

One kid asked me today if I was going to be here next year. I said I wasn't sure, but he said he wanted me to teach "24" (meaning Science 24 - I'm teaching 14 right now). This could be because he likes me better than the other teacher who currently teaches it, but it could just be because I'm a good teacher. I'm going with the latter, but I'll take either honestly. haha

Is it weird that labs make me nervous, and I'm a science teacher? I had a semi-bad experience with a lab in practicum ... it was sort of hilarious, but still did not go smoothly exactly. I could (and probably should) do a decomposition reaction tomorrow... at least as a demo... but I'm not going to. haha - I hope my principal never reads this. Maybe I can think of something else to do instead. Maybe there is a demo online somewhere. Or a movie... :)

Alright... maybe I should actually get around to work. And maybe take the garbage out - its one of those things that probably shouldn't be put off...

No comments: